We got inspections done, and after received the inspection reports, our realtor wrote up the inspection proposal and sent it on Friday, while we were on vacation. We gave them to May 6th to respond, considering we figured we had asked them to fix enough stuff that they would need some time to have a contractor take a look at the issues. We were hoping not to hear anything for a while, since that would mean they were considering our requests.
But we heard back today — the owner is offering money to us so we can get stuff fixed. And a highly unrealistic amount of money, at that. We’re going to sit down and go over stuff this evening, and decide whether we want to counter with something else or walk away. But either way, a very disappointing situation.
I think the seller’s realtor is thinking we don’t know much about the downtown housing market, and it attempting to work that a bit. Unfortunately, he’s quite wrong about that. We know what the house is worth and what it’s real prospects are for sale, and what we asked for was more than fair. It would suck to have to walk away, but to some extent he would deserve it.