I answered this movie meme several years ago. I need to update it quite a bit, but since I received another meme recently asking the 10 movies I hate, I thought I’d combine them.
10 Favorite Comedies
- Auntie Mame
- Shakespeare in Love
- Twelfth Night
- Much Ado About Nothing
- There’s Something About Mary
- Breakfast At Tiffany’s
- The Truth About Cats and Dogs
- Southpark: Bigger, Longer, Uncut
- The Incredibly True Adventures of Two Girls in Love
10 Favorite Dramas
- Joan of Arc – the miniseries
- The Matrix
- Fight Club
- Life is Beautiful
- All the President’s Men
- Sense and Sensibility
- The Usual Suspects
- American Beauty
- Donnie Darko
10 Favorite Musicals
- The Wizard of Oz
- The Sound of Music
- The Music Man
- Singin’ In the Rain (I can’t put it higher on the list, because the others are childhood favorites)
- West Side Story
10 Favorite Tear-Jerkers
- Terms of Endearment
- Steel Magnolias
- The Madness of King George
- It’s a Wonderful Life
- Waking Ned Devine
10 Favorite Action/Mystery/Thriller/Western Movies
- Rear Window
- North By Northwest
- Dial ‘M’ for Murder
- King Kong (1933)
- The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
- Wild Things
Movie Characters You Wish You Could Be
- Auntie Mame
- Tyler Durden
- Gina Gershon’s character in Bound
- Professor Harold Hill from The Music Man because as a kid I wanted to kiss Shirley Jones.
- George Bailey from “It’s a Wonderful Life.” Jimmy Stewart was a pretty stand-up guy.
Ten Movies You Hate
You have to take into account here that there are lots of crappy movies I didn’t see; these are just ones I did see.
- Closer. (read my rant on this movie here)
- Jaws (never seen beyond the opening sequence because it’s too scary).
- The Piano. New Rule: Harvey Keitel is not allowed to be naked anywhere, even in the shower.
- Basic Instinct. Because all lesbians are hot blonde killers. And we have nothing better to do with our lives than chase your lame, paunchy ass around with an ice pick. Right.
- Pieces of April (started to watch this dismal movie on HBO, quit halfway through.)
- Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
- Forrest Gump (It’s okay to not think. Smart people will kill themselves.)
- Pretty Woman. You don’t need me to explain, do you?
- Apocalyse Now. I know I’m supposed to like that “heart of darkness” shit, but I’m sorry, I just can’t sympathize with toxic masculinity.
- Chuck & Buck. I’ll admit I only remember this movie after seeing it on other worsts lists. I did hate the hell out of it, though.