- 4 pounds (about 6) baking potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup milk or heavy cream, or a combination of both
- Kosher salt and freshly ground white pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped herbs (any combination basil, thyme, chervil or chives).
1. Place the potatoes and garlic in a large saucepan and cover them with cold, salted water. Place over high heat and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork, about 20 minutes. Drain.
2. While they are still warm, pass the potatoes and garlic through a ricer or mash with a potato masher. Return the potatoes to the pan and stir in the milk or cream and the butter. (Add more milk or cream if they seem too stiff.) Stir in the parsley and herbs. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.
Yield: 6 servings.