Angel of the Resurrection, 1904, Tiffany Studios, Indianapolis Museum of Art

Angel of the Resurrection, 1904, Tiffany Studios, Indianapolis Museum of Art

Angel of the Resurrection, 1904, Tiffany Studios, Indianapolis Museum of Art

Now owned and displayed by the Indianapolis Museum of Art, the magnificent stained-glass window was commissioned for the First Meridian Heights Presbyterian Church by Mary Lord Harrison as a commemoration of her husband, Benjamin Harrison. It was installed in the church at 16th Street and Delaware.

From the IMA:

The design shows Michael, the Angel of the Resurrection, signaling the dead to rise at Christ’s second coming. In keeping with the romanticism of the time, Tiffany’s heroic angel is dressed in the chain mail suit of a crusading knight and seems like a figure from Sir Walter Scott’s novels.

Only a portion of the full window is on display at the IMA; an image of the full window – over two stories tall – can be seen on the wikipedia page describing the window.

Posted in Arts & Crafts, Brain Food Tagged with: , , , ,

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: